Spring cleaning is fast approaching! We hear “spring cleaning” every year, but why should we do it? Once you get through the madness of the holidays, winter weather, and cold and flu season, springtime brings a great opportunity to take a weekend and hit reset on your home. Flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, and fresh air is all around. What more could you ask for? Well, a decluttered and clean home! You should view spring cleaning as having two ultimate parts: organizing and sanitizing.
Here are some of our tried and true tips for a successful spring cleaning and a glowing home.
- Start with a list! Doing a deep clean can be a daunting task. Make sure to write down all of your priorities so nothing gets left behind and you can create a game plan on how to tackle it.
- Take it one thing at a time. One of the easiest mistakes to make when cleaning is starting one project before finishing another. To stay on track, try to either do one room at a time or one specific task like windows, carpet, etc. It will keep you from jumping around and making more of a mess in the process.
- This is the time to handle the nitty gritty projects! Spring cleaning isn’t just your average picking up toys, doing the laundry, and vacuuming. It’s the time to really deep clean the parts of your home that can be forgotten about. Freshening up some paint, cleaning the blinds, washing those hard to reach windows, or scrubbing the floor boards. Try to prioritize those cleaning projects that happen only every once in a while to kick your spring cleaning off!
- Be ready to sanitize! Stock up on cleaning supplies before you start your spring cleaning. Especially given the current times we are living in with the pandemic, it’s crucial to sanitize your home and kill bacteria and germs. Bleach is great for the heavy duty areas like bathrooms, but make sure to keep sanitizing wipes on hand for any nook and cranny or surface you may find. Read up more on how to clean and disinfect your home here!
- Create a trash and donate pile! Part of the joys of spring cleaning is freeing up more space. Make a trash and donate pile right from the start and make sure to utilize them. Whether it be furniture, clothes, toys, or a build up of shopping bags, you’ll want to look all around your house for areas that could use a little decluttering.
- Organize! When you start to toss items you no longer need, it leads to an even bigger project of reorganizing! For spring cleaning, we recommend two specific spots to really focus your organization skills on: closets and the kitchen. Create a closet layout that is functional, easy to maintain, and caters to how you work. Once you get rid of last season’s clothes, you’ll have extra room to rethink your layout and make it work for you. It can be an overwhelming process, but completely worth it once you go to get dressed the next day or put away the laundry! For the kitchen, things like tupperware can pile up quickly. Pull everything out of the cupboards and put only the essential and heavily used items back in the space. Every item should have a home and themed cupboards are the perfect way to achieve an organized kitchen that makes cooking a breeze. But don’t forget the pantry too! Create a fresh space for your food with these great tips here.
- Make your space yours! Going through this process of cleaning and organizing will be tiring, we won’t lie. But beyond having a safe and clean space to live in, you get to hit reset and have your home catered to your needs. Your space should be functional for you and it’s a great time to also do a little redecorating in the process! We’ve all been indoors a little too much lately, so now is the time to liven it back up in a way that makes you happy.
Happy spring cleaning from Clean Buddies!